Tuesday, November 8, 2011

What's for Dinner?

How often do you take your time making a concise, yet comprehensive grocery list only to return home from shopping and realize you've forgotten that vital ingredient for Wednesday's taco night?

It's an easy problem to solve! All you need is computer paper, Microsoft excel and a planner!  I buy blank paper from Filofax that comes with the appropriate holes already punched (it can be tricky to measure out!).  On excel, design a 2 column spreadsheet with boxes for all the common shopping aisles. My categories are: Produce, Deli, Meats, Snacks, Cooking, Baking, Cooking, Frozen, Dairy & Eggs, and Household.  I format my printer options so I can print the list directly onto the Filfofax paper to fit nicely into one of my planner tabs for Groceries & Menus!  Helpful hint: organize the categories in the same order you move through your store aisles so you instantly know if you've skipped something!  


Under the same planner tab, I also keep a monthly spreadsheet to plan our family meals.  With two small kids, I try to plan a week's worth of meals and make only one big grocery trip a week.  With my meal planner spreadsheet, I can keep track of what's for dinner a week in advance.  By keeping the meal schedule right next to my grocery list, I can see at a glance what ingredients are missing from the shopping list for each planned meal.  It's the little adjustments that make the big differences!  
Download my printable spreadsheets below!
These were designed for the Personal sized Filofax. 
     

No comments:

Post a Comment